My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Sunday, June 04, 2006

I Believe

National Public Radio has been running a series of commentaries by notable folks from various walks of life called "I Believe" or "This I Believe." The idea, which NPR picked up from something one of the radio networks did in the 1950s, is to have a person of some prominence in art, literature, politics, etc., give a 3-4 minute synopsis of his or her "creed" or philosophy of what's important in life. Lots of opportunity for "big picture" stuff here about the meaning of life and all that. I've only heard a few, but it seems like, at the least, a decent use of NPR's airtime since you really get to hear someone speak "from the heart" or at least in a context in which the person gets to define the terms of the discussion.

The last installment I heard was from a guy who believes "in barbecue". His tongue was implanted firmly in his cheek, of course, but it was a lighter side of the "I Believe" feature that was funny, interesting and still contained some truth. (Barbecue IS pretty important, after all.)

But it all got me to thinking. What would I say if I were asked to participate? Little danger of that, but it's good to be ready for these things just in case. Kind of like having your acceptance speech ready at the Oscars when the critics panned your film, I know, but still.

Anyway, I couldn't help thinking that, trite as it might seem, a very appropriate response to the question, "What do you believe" would be the Apostle's Creed:

I believe in God, the Father Almighty,
the Creator of heaven and earth,
and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord:

Who was conceived of the Holy Spirit,
born of the Virgin Mary,
suffered under Pontius Pilate,
was crucified, died, and was buried.

He descended into hell.

The third day He arose again from the dead.

He ascended into heaven
and sits at the right hand of God the Father Almighty,
whence He shall come to judge the living and the dead.

I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy catholic church,
the communion of saints,
the forgiveness of sins,
the resurrection of the body,
and life everlasting.

Amen.

I know, I know. I wouldn't really say that if I were on "This I Believe". And if I did, NPR wouldn't air it. Not because NPR isn't a fan of the Apostle's Creed (though I don't really think they are), but because "This I Believe" is about something PERSONAL from the prominent folks they ask to participate. And yet . . . the beauty and the simplicity in that creed just can't be topped. And the confidence it breathes into the reciter is staggering -- no sensitive, nonjudgemental, pluralistic "this is what works for me" pablum here. Plus, when I say it (especially out loud), I get just a glimpse of how small I really am. That the most significant facts about me are contained in those words. Not in my opinions, not in my insight, not in my emotions, and not even in my relationships with others, though the truths of the creed's words should manifest themselves in the latter. In the end, "I believe in God the Father Almighty . . ." is really all I have.

Not a bad takeaway from listening to NPR, all things considered.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home