My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Great Idea; Not A Bad Book

Professor Oden has had a terrific idea: undermine the destructive assumptions that equate Christianity with white European colonialism and racism by digging deep into the African roots of early Christianity. He's done a wonderful job of sketching the broad outlines of how this case might be made. Sure, there's Augustine; sure, there's Origen. But there's a great deal more as well that is little known outside some very small circles. He also tackles head on the curious treatment of so much of North African civilization as not authentically "African".

Regrettably, however, Professor Oden wrote a whole book to argue for why someone should write a book exploring his thesis. I kept going from chapter to chapter saying to myself, "OK, he's explained his thesis; now I'm ready to read some detailed exploration and analysis." Unfortunately, each chapter was just another, slightly different restatement of his thesis. To be fair to the author, he was probably just trying to stimulate research and discussion. But it felt a little bait and switchy to me as a reader.

It's a great thesis, but it's just Not A Bad Book.

6 Comments:

Blogger susan said...

One of our bishops recently published a book about Africa's influence on the Christianity of the West. Our priest says it's a very interesting read, but I am too embedded in classwork to get to it.

It won't be long before the Anglican Communion is entirely dominated by African provinces. So interesting to me.

4:47 PM, February 03, 2009  
Blogger BB said...

I've read many books that should have been pamphlets... 20 excellent pages stretched anecdotally (sp?) into 180 or more restated pages.

Many of them are still book-marked and collecting dust where they were returned prematurely to the shelf...

6:45 PM, February 03, 2009  
Blogger Under The Mountain said...

susan -- very interesting; perhaps people are taking up the research and argument. thanks for commenting; nice to hear from you.

BB -- Amen to that. I guess the problem is booksellers don't know how to sell pamphlets. They used to; I have several 18th and 19th century sermons on pamphlet form. Let's start a publishing company that specializes in pamphlets!

10:05 AM, February 04, 2009  
Blogger ds said...

My friend Tony publishes here:

http://pamphleteerpress.com/index.html

11:29 AM, February 04, 2009  
Blogger susan said...

That was actually me.

Susan

12:12 PM, February 04, 2009  
Blogger Under The Mountain said...

susan -- DOH! Somebody got to the idea before I did. I checked out the website and it looks like they did a better job with it than I would have anyway, though.

Nice work!

6:00 PM, February 05, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home