My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Monday, December 18, 2006

The Dedication

Right up there with the preface must rank the dedication, that personalized message from the giver to the recipient that becomes a permanent part of that particular copy of the book. When the book is later sold, inherited or even re-gifted, the personalized dedication can turn an ordinary book into a real treasure.

Like this book I recently picked up: The Martini by Barnaby Conrad III. It's a mini-coffee table book about the wonders produced by a small portion of gin and a smaller portion of vermouth. (Who knew vermouth had fifty ingredients and takes four years to craft?) Nice pictures; mostly clever and interesting text. But the personalized dedication makes my copy unique:

To Betty From Joanna

Happy Mothers Day
Happy Birthday

I love having a Mother who enjoys her Martinis

J
I hope Betty enjoyed her book as much as I did. If not as much as she enjoyed her Martinis.

2 Comments:

Blogger Brian T. Murphy said...

I could not agree more.

back in july I met an aunt for the first time, and it was wonderful, and as I was leaving she gave me several books, and as I've read them, I've noticed that they all have notes in them on the inside front cover because friends gave the books to her years ago.

the words are pictures of my aunts life.

8:32 AM, December 20, 2006  
Blogger Under The Mountain said...

Meeting an aunt for the first time must have been a fascinating experience. It's certainly an unusual one!

Those dedications would be a little like reading the notes in a someone's high school or college yearbook. I have my mother's college yearbooks and need to take a look at those sometime.

8:07 PM, December 20, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home