My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Not to Mention What You Find Stuck in Old Books . . . .


And then there are the treasures you sometimes find stuck inside old books. The crisp, yellowed newspaper article; the aged critical review of the book; perhaps even the dedicatory note from the gift giver. One of my favorites was tucked inside a nice leatherbound edition of The Works of Thomas Chalmers, D.D., Minister of the Tron Church, Glasgow, published in Philadelphia in 1830. (Chalmers was a prolific pastor of the Free Church of Scotland who dedicated himself with unwavering passion to his congregation and who inspired some rather amazing missionary, educational and mercy ministry endeavors, and Franklin, Tennessee, pastor and author George Grant has begun to reacquaint Christendom with Chalmers' reputation -- just Google "George Grant Thomas Chalmers" to find his lecture series online.)

It's a personal pledge card. And it's about bicycling. On Sunday.

Here's the text in full in case you can't see it in the picture:

Remember the Sabbath Day to keep it Holy.

Sunday Wheeling
has become a popular mania, and is now one of the most subtle foes of the Lord's Day. Desiring to throw all my influence against its desecration, I pledge myself that I will not ride my Bicycle for pleasure on Sunday, and further, that I will not use my Wheel for any purpose on that day if my reasons for doing so are likely to be misunderstood by others.

Signed_________________________
A "subtle foe" of the Lord's Day indeed!

I'm not sure if I treasure the card more or less for its lack of a signature. In any case, I doubt I'll be riding my bicycle this Sunday. I wouldn't want anyone to misunderstand my reasons for doing so.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home