My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Thursday, June 14, 2007

What I Read Last Year And I Wish I Were Reading Now

This was a good book. No, this was a magnificent book. It reminded me of stuff I learned in 7th, 9th and 11th grades about the history of the English language. Except this time it was INTERESTING! Sure, I'm older and wiser and all that, and I have less hair, which I'm sure helps, but this author is also a much better writer than the folks who wrote those textbooks I had to suffer through as a ward of the government schools.

It's impossible to begin to summarize this book. All I can say is that it gives you a great appreciation for the fascinating history and amazing complexity of our language. It's also really cool to read the Lord's Prayer in Old and Middle English.

A great Father's Day gift!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home